Shared Marrakech to Fes Desert Tour
This tour is an incredible, 3-day 2-night tour, that is an experience unlike any other. The tour combines a stay in both imperial cities with a desert experience that you will never forget. Saving you the time and boredom of the long journey back, you will instead explore different parts of Morocco and all the amazing landscapes it has to offer. All of that, plus a legendary camel ride in Erg Chebbi and an overnight stay in a Sahara desert camp!
- Drive on one of the most scenic winding roads in North Africa, the Tizi n'Tichka pass
- Enjoy the majesty of the UNESCO world heritage Kasbah of Ait Ben Haddou
- Take in the scenery of Dades Valley and the road of 1001 Kasbahs
- Ride a camel for a breathtaking view of both the sunset and sunrise view over Erg Chebbi dunes
- Spend the night at your Sahara desert camp in Merzouga where you will see an expanse of sand dunes
- Drive across the Middle Atlas Mountains, enjoying the smells of its cedar forests and marvel at the Barbary macaques that live in the trees
DAY 1 : MARRAKECH – AIT BEN HADDOU – BOUMALNE DADES ( 7 H DRIVE )
Your shared Marrakech to Fes desert tour will start early in the morning with pick up from your hotel, riad, or the nearest accessible point. We will first begin by driving past the Marrakech suburbs that are full of small towns and different farms. You can see locals herd goats and sell goods at street stands. We will then start driving uphill to the High Atlas Mountains. Here we will stop for a quick drink and use the toilet before making our way to the famous Tizi n'Tichka pass that is 2260m high.
There will be many stops along the way where you will be able to stretch and take photos. Also, you will be given numerous opportunities to stop at shops and cafes as well as talk to locals. You will notice that the landscape will dramatically change once we reach the Kasbah of Ait Ben Haddou, the UNESCO classified village that is one of the most visited landmarks in Morocco. Here many Hollywood stars were captured on film. Just to name a few, Game of Thrones, Kingdom of heaven, and Gladiator were all filmed here at some point or another.
You will have the option to hire a local guide with the rest of the group to visit the village before you choose a local cafe for lunch. This of course is optional and will include an additional fee. Later in the afternoon, we will continue our tour to Dades Valley past Ouarzazate and Kelaa Mgouna, or Rose Valley. In fact, Kelaa Mgouna is famous for its Damascus rose estate and distillation. Furthermore, you will journey between Ouarzazate and Dades, or “The road of 1001 Kasbahs’’.
We will then venture to Boumalne Dades, a small town in Tinghir Province. Here we will take a side road in order to enjoy the amazing scenery that the Dades River has to offer. You will also enjoy views of different fortified Berber villages in the back. After you enjoy some sightseeing you will arrive at your Dades Hotel and enjoy your dinner just before dark.
DAY 2 : BOUMALNE DADES – TODRA GORGES – MERZOUGA ( 4 H DRIVE )
In the morning, you will get to enjoy some great breakfast from the restaurant inside. After a wonderful breakfast, we will get ready for an amazing journey toward the Tinghir oasis. Here you will have the chance to walk along with the shade of date palm and olive trees and enjoy the different streams. Many of the locals here take care of their crops and cattle in the area.
We will then walk around so you can see many of the majestic cliffs of Todgha Gorges where you will be given some leisure time to enjoy the surroundings. After lunch and some more leisure time at one of the local cafes, we will continue on to Rissani where you will see many small towns and fortified villages. From here, you will be able to enjoy the sand dunes that change color with the horizon. We will then travel to Merzouga, also known as the gateway to Erg Chebbi. In Erg Chebbi you will meet your camel caravan and begin on an hour-long camel ride over the sand dunes and enjoying the best sunset views.
Just before nightfall, you will continue your camel ride into your Sahara desert camp. Once you make it to your camp, your host will prepare and serve a delicious authentic Moroccan dinner. This dinner will be served at your Bedouin camp. When dinner is finished, your nomad hosts will be entertaining you around the campfire with a drum show filled with singing and authentic music. You will be able to enjoy the clear skies and the stars while you listen to the drums until around midnight. You will be staying overnight at this camp.
DAY 3 : MERZOUGA – MIDELT – IFRAN – FES ( 8 H DRIVE )
There will be an early sunrise camel ride so that you can enjoy the beauty of the desert and a true desert sunrise. You will be crossing the Erg Chebbi dunes and arriving back in Merzouga at the camp operator's lodge. The lodge offers an array of things, like a restaurant, outdoor pool, and even a garden! Here you will have breakfast, have a chance to swim, and then get in a quick shower before you meet your new driver. You will then head toward Fes. The journey will take you across the Ziz Valley through the brilliant green palms and filled with incredible views of the many great oases that Morocco has to offer.
After some leisure time and more diving, you will cross the Middle Atlas Mountains to a small town halfway to Fez. Here you will be able to take more photos, stretch your legs, and enjoy lunch at another local cafe. After lunch and a little bit of time to take in the area, you will then head past the different cedar forests. The forests are known to be inhabited by the Barbary macaque, which is one of the best-known Old World monkey species. After you get the opportunity to possibly spot a monkey, you will then travel to the small town of Ifrane, which is famous for being a popular winter resort for Moroccans.
You should arrive in Fes at about 5 pm, however, this is only an estimate and doesn’t include any time that is used for leisure. Your shared 3 days 2-night desert tour from Marrakech to Fes will end with a drop off at your hotel or the nearest accessible point to your Riad.
- All of our vans are modern minibusses equipped with air conditioning and a place to put your luggage
- There will also be an English French speaking driver
- Your first-night stay at the hotel, as well as any breakfasts or dinners, are included
- Your overnight at a Sahara desert camp in Erg Chebbi is also included in your tour
- To guarantee a private room/tent upgrade with extra 10 euro per person
- Sandboarding is optional and available per request
- Also included is a shower and access to the pool at the lodge in Merzouga
- Drop off is in Fes at a location of your choosing
- Personal expenses
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Please note that any driving times you see will be estimates and does not include any time you will have for eating, drinking, or leisure time
- There are also private tours for those with more specific needs
- You can keep any luggage you may have on the van, as it will be safely stored while doing any camping Also, due to storage constraints, you need to be sure to pack a small backpack or rucksack with your essentials. This is important to have for the camel ride and the overnight stay at the campsite
- Be sure to bring your own bathroom toiletries and essentials such as towels, toilet paper, and washcloths.
- Remember that the desert gets cold at night, be sure to bring warm sleeping clothes. Warm blankets are supplied during the winter
- Please make sure you pack some protective gear. These things include sunglasses, sunscreen, and good walking shoes
- You are going to be on a camel for at least an hour at a time so be sure to wear pants or Please wear jeans, trousers or long shorts
- There are sand boards available for those who would want to try out sandboarding in the Erg Chebbi dunes
price for group tours
|PRICE PER PERSON|